Other Pages

Friday 16 October 2020

Nate Maingard, troubadour

There's a Cape Town-based artist named Nate Maingard, whose material I first discovered 5 years ago while unemployed and really down in the dumps. He has a Patreon and a loyal following all over, lockdowns or not.
Upon a rainy, miserable day when on the way to the Jobcentre in 2015, I suddenly hit on the idea of using a patronage site to get my book out there. This was about the time I first dipped my toes into the world of KDP. I went to the site, and somehow the first thing I clicked on was Nate Maingard's song, The Light's Alive. It went up in my mind like a firework, and gave me the oomph I needed to get started.
Alas, my attempts at gaining a following on Patreon fell prey to my introversion, but this song is still a lovely piece. I have other favourites of his, including Traveller's Song (which he sings with his dad, and sounds epically South African!), and In the Shadows, which I heard and thought, 'Yes! It's exactly like that!'

No comments:

Post a Comment